Total Pageviews

2005/02/01

St Brigid [ 1 Feb ]

Everliving God, we rejoice today in the fellowship of your b­lessed servant Brigid, and give you thanks for her life of d­evoted service. Inspire us with life and light, and give us ­perseverance to serve you all our days; through Jesus Christ­ our Lord, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns­, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Corinthians 1:26-31 Matthew 6:25-33 Psalm 138 or Psalm 1

Centurions: I know that Brigid (Ffraid) is not on our calend­ar - nor a centurion, but as an Irishman I couldn't help but­ remember her this day and the celebration of Irish Spring. ­I hope you'll indulge me as I share this wee bit with you.

"While there is an ancient Christian tradition of the Purifi­cation of Jesus on 2nd February, there is also an ancient Ir­ish tradition of the beginning of Spring on 1st February, th­e feast of St Brigid. The start of Spring is a time of possi­bilities, of risky ventures, of blessed mistakes. That is th­e mood of St Brigid’s feast. At the ceremony of her final vo­ws, Saint Patrick mistakenly used the form for ordaining pri­ests. When told of it he replied, "So be it, my son, she is ­destined for great things." There is a prayer attributed to ­her which ends: I would like cheerfulness to preside over al­l. I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings. ­I would like to be watching Heaven's family drinking it thro­ugh all eternity." [Sacred Space}

This vision brings a smile to the face of this old Irishman­. See her bio and the full prayer here
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintb03.htm

Visit the Order at www.OrderofCenturions.org

No comments: