Total Pageviews

2008/06/14

Fourth Sunday after Trinity

Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ

News of the Order and commentary appear after the Proper Collect, Epistle and Gospel

 

Fourth Sunday after Trinity

O GOD, the protector of all that trust in thee, without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy; Increase and multiply upon us thy mercy; that, thou being our ruler and guide, we may so pass through things temporal, that we finally lose not the things eternal. Grant this, O heavenly Father, for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Collect Source: Sacramentary of Bishop Gregory of Rome [ca 600AD].

Lamentations iii. 22, Psalms 19, 20 | 24, 25 ; Romans viii. 18   &  St. Luke vi. 36

Homily of Augustine on Psalm XIX

Sanctuary Windows
 

BULLETIN

 

calendar

 

Boniface, Legionary - June 15th

Alban, Centurion, First Martyr of England - June 20th

quotation

 

When the Lord says, "unless you have eaten the flesh of the Son of Man and drunk His blood, you will not have life in you", you ought so to be partakers at the Holy Table as to have no doubt whatever concerning the reality of Christ's Body and Blood; for that is taken in the mouth which is believed in faith and it is vain for them to respond "Amen" who dispute that which is taken.

 

 [LEO, BISHOP OF ROME]

 

commentary

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be

acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

 

In today's ancient Homily, Augustine writes of the last verse of Psalm XIX,

 

"And the words of my mouth shall be pleasing, and the meditation of my heart is always in Thy sight" (ver. 14). The meditation of my heart is not after the vain glory of pleasing men, for now there is pride no more, but in Thy sight alway, who regardest a pure conscience. "O Lord, my Helper, and my Redeemer" [566] (ver. 15). O Lord, my Helper, in my approach to Thee; for Thou art my Redeemer, that I might set out unto Thee: lest any attributing to his own wisdom his conversion to Thee, or to his own strength his attaining to Thee, should be rather driven back by Thee, who resistest the proud; for he is not cleansed from the great offence, nor pleasing in Thy sight, who redeemest us that we may be converted, and helpest us that we may attain unto Thee.

 

 

 

 

No comments: