Total Pageviews

2013/08/16

Twelfth Sunday after Trinity - 2013

The Twelfth Sunday after Trinity.
Psalm 119.89-96
In aeternum. Domine
89. O LORD, thy word : endureth for ever in heaven.
90. Thy truth also remaineth from one generation to another : thou hast laid the foundation of the earth, and it abideth.
91. They continue this day according to thine ordinance : for all things serve thee.
92. If my delight had not been in thy law : I should have perished in my trouble.
93. I will never forget thy commandments : for with them thou hast quickened me.
94. I am thine, O save me : for I have sought thy commandments.
95. The ungodly laid wait for me to destroy me : but I will consider thy testimonies.
96. I see that all things come to an end : but thy commandment is exceeding broad.

(***N.B. I was delighted when Primus Pilus I, Mark, directed me to this link and I found that the 1549 BCP actually put a psalm portion with the Collect:

The Collect.
ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who art always more ready to hear than we are to pray, and art wont to give more than either we desire, or deserve; Pour down upon us the abundance of thy mercy; forgiving us those things whereof our conscience is afraid, and giving us those good things which we are not worthy to ask, but through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, thy Son, our Lord. Amen.

Old Testament Reading: Isaiah 29.18-24
Psalter: Psalm 76, 77 | 71, 72
Epistle Reading: 2 Corinthians 3.1-9
Gospel Reading: St. Mark 7.31-37

Barbee and Zahl: “Taken from the Sacramentary of Leo and revised by Gelasius, this prayer was altered in 1662. ( . . . ) Bishop Cosin added, “and giving us those good things which we are not worthy to ask, but through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, thy Son, our Lord.” The thought of our own just deserts is balanced by the merits of the Redeemer. ( . . . ).

       This Collect is a treasure chest, truly overflowing, of uplifting insights drawn from our religion: 
·         God is more ready to hear us than we are to pray. We pray too little, too timorously, and too pallidly. We seldom pray for what we really need and while we are unceasingly preoccupied with our perceived needs, we simply pray too seldom! ( . . . ). 
·         God wills to give us more than we want and certainly more than we deserve. ( . . . ) On the one hand, He wants to do more for us, in our impoverished frangibility*, than we can conceive. On the other hand, He wants to do good to us rather than judge us according to our deservings. ( . . .).
·         We ask Him to forgive us the things that weigh on our conscience and cause us to fear to look Him in the eye. ( . . . ). 
·         We ask Him to give us what we cannot even imagine asking Him to give us. ( . . . )” (92-3).


* “Frangibile adj. breakable; fragile” (Oxford American Desk Dictionary and Thesaurus, Second American Edition, 2002).

No comments: