Total Pageviews

2018/03/09

Fourth Sunday in Lent - 2018



The Fourth Sunday in Lent.
Habakkuk 3.12-19
In fremitu
Thou didst march through the land in indignation, * thou didst thresh the heathen in anger.
Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, * even for salvation with thine anointed;
Thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, * by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.
Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: * their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.
Thou didst walk through the sea with thine horses, * through the heap of great waters.
When I heard, my belly trembled; * my lips quivered at the voice:
Rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, * that I might rest in the day of trouble:
When he cometh up unto the people, * he will invade them with his troops.
Although the fig tree shall not blossom, * neither shall fruit be in the vines;
The labour of the olive shall fail, * and the fields shall yield no meat;
The flock shall be cut off from the fold, * and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, * I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, * and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son * and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.

The Collect.
GRANT, we beseech thee, Almighty God, that we, who for our evil deeds do worthily deserve to be punished, by the comfort of thy grace may mercifully be relieved; through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

{The Collect from the First Day of Lent is to be read every day in Lent after the Collect appointed for the Day.}

The Collect.
ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who hatest nothing that thou hast made and dost forgive the sins of all them that are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins, and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of thee, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Old Testament Reading: Ezekiel 39.21-29
Psalter: Psalm 142, 143 | 119.105-144
Epistle Reading: Galatians 4.21-31
Gospel Reading: St. John 6.1-14


The Canticle from Habakkuk, especially the last few lines, always strike me as bold and wholesome. To paraphrase, “Even if there’s no groceries at the grocery store, nor produce at the farmer’s market; even if the financial bottom falls out, and my 401k is stripped bare; yet I will trust you!” Lord, may our faith and trust in you be this resilient! I did a three part sermon series on Habakkuk some years back. If you’d be interested in listening to those three sermons you can go here: http://mphilliber.blogspot.com/2013/07/habakkuk-righteous-will-live-by-faith.html

No comments: