Total Pageviews

2004/09/11

Centurio Epistula 9/11 Lord have mercyÂ…

Today as I watched the scene at Ground Zero, and saw the survivors of the Attack on America, I was mindful of the Gospel account for this Sunday, the

14th Sunday after Trinity

. The ten lepers called out to Jesus for help saying, Master, have mercy on us. At Ground Zero, three years after the fact, the people are still in mourning. I could not hear their cry, but I imagined that they too were crying out to the Lord, asking that He would heal them, protect them, and comfort them in their loss.

In the Gospel story, Jesus answered the call of the lepers; he healed them with his word. Jesus continues to heal by his word and command today; He said, Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid [Jn 14:27]

The collect for this Sunday is quite appropriate for the times:

Almighty and everlasting God, give unto us the increase of faith, hope, and charity; and, that we may obtain that which thou dost promise, make us to love that which thou dost command; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


No comments: