Total Pageviews

2009/04/04

Palm Sunday

The Sunday next before Easter

Palm Sunday
Augustine on Psalm XXII
Palm Sunday Home

ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who, of thy tender love towards mankind, hast sent thy Son, our Saviour Jesus Christ, to take upon him our flesh, and to suffer death upon the cross, that all mankind should follow the example of his great humility; Mercifully grant, that we may both follow the example of his patience, and also be made partakers of his resurrection; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

To be said daily, after the Collect appointed for the day, until Good Friday

Source: Sacramentary of Galesius, Bishop of Rome [494 AD]. "Palms" were carried by people on this Sunday in remembrance of Jesus' entrance into Jerusalem.

 
Isaiah 53, Psalm 97, 110 | 22, 23 , Philippians ii. 5.     St. Matthew xxvii. 1.
Homilies
 
For many dogs are come about me, and the council of the wicked layeth siege against me. They pierced my hands and my feet: I may tell all my bones: they stand staring and looking upon me. They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. But be not thou far from me, O LORD; thou art my succour, haste thee to help me.

 

   
Lent 6 Commentary
 
 
Palm Sunday, Western Calendar, since the observed in this holy week since the 6th century, as a day when the folk carried psalms in remembrance of Jesus' triumphant and joyful entry into Jerusalem, and the beginning of his passion.
 
 
This week we will meditate on Psalm 22. No other psalm is so prophetic as to the circumstances of the passion of Christ. The descriptions in the quotation match the Gospel account. The Gospel writer made reference to the psalm. We see in Matthew 27 and in John 19. The book of Hebrews as well (Heb 2:12). It is the most quoted psalm of the New Testament.  I have chosen the 17-21st verses, as they most graphically point to the crucifixion.
 
 
On Good Friday, Augustine preached concerning these verses
 
 
  "For many dogs came about Me". For many came about Me barking, not for truth, but for custom. "The council of the malignant came about Me." The council of the malignant besieged Me. "They pierced My hands and feet." They pierced with nails My hands and feet. "They numbered distinctly all My bones". They numbered distinctly all My bones, while extended on the wood of the Cross. "Yea, these same regarded, and beheld Me." Yea, these same, that is, unchanged, regarded and beheld Me. "They divided My garments for themselves, and cast the lot upon My vesture".  "But Thou, O Lord, withhold not Thy help far from Me". But Thou, O Lord, raise Me up again, not as the rest of men, at the end of the world, but immediately. "Look to My defence." "Look," that they in no wise hurt Me. "Deliver My soul from the sword." "Deliver My soul" from the tongue of dissension. "And My only One from the hand of the dog". And from the power of the people, barking after their custom, deliver My Church. "
 
 
The Old Testament lesson that I have selected for this Sunday to accompany Psalm 22, is the 53rd Chapter of Isaiah: The Suffering Servant. It too clearly points to the crucifixion events.
 
 
The allusions in the psalm are so vivid they do not require any interpretation or clarification to any Christian familiar with the events of Good Friday. We may ponder the prophetic nature of David's psalm, and how God put into his heart to compose these words which pointed to the Son of David, the everlasting King of Israel. Christ was aware of what faced him when he entered Jerusalem on that Palm Sunday. He was aware that his fate was envisioned in this psalm and in the prophetic voice of Isaiah. He was aware that all must be fulfilled as prophesied to enable him to fulfill his mission as the Messiah. Only by death, accompanied with great humiliation and suffering, could he defeat death, and bring everlasting life to his chosen people. Thanks be to God.


--
Released by Primus Pilus
Legio Christi-Ecclesia Militans
"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another" [St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans 14:19]

* ORDO CENTURIONUM * IN HOC SIGNO VINCES * TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM

No comments: