Saint Mark the Evangelist
O ALMIGHTY God, who hast instructed thy holy Church with the heavenly doctrine of thy Evangelist Saint Mark; Give us grace that, being not like children carried away with every blast of vain doctrine, we may be established in the truth of thy holy Gospel; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Epistle Reading: Ephesians 4.7-16
Gospel Reading: John 15.1-11
The Third Sunday after Easter.
UNTO thee, O God, do we give thanks : yea, unto thee do we give thanks.
2. Thy Name also is so nigh : and that do thy wondrous works declare.
3. When I receive the congregation : I shall judge according unto right.
4. The earth is weak, and all the inhabiters thereof : I bear up the pillars of it.
5. I said unto the fools, Deal not so madly: and to the ungodly, Set not up your horn.
6. Set not up your horn on high : and speak not with a stiff neck.
7. For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west : nor yet from the south.
8. And why? God is the Judge : he putteth down one, and setteth up another.
9. For in the hand of the Lord there is a cup, and the wine is red : it is full mixed, and he poureth out of the same.
10. As for the dregs thereof : all the ungodly of the earth shall drink them, and suck them out.
11. But I will talk of the God of Jacob : and praise him for ever.
12. All the horns of the ungodly also will I break : and the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.
ALMIGHTY God, who shewest to them that be in error the light of thy truth, to the intent that they may return into the way of righteousness; Grant unto all them that are admitted into the fellowship of Christ’s Religion, that they may eschew those things that are contrary to their profession, and follow all such things as are agreeable to the same; through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
Old Testament Reading: 1 Samuel 2.1b-10
Psalter: Psalm 120, 121, 122 | 123, 124, 125
Epistle Reading: 1 Peter 2.11-17
Gospel Reading: St. John 16.16-24