Total Pageviews

2009/07/12

Fifth Sunday After Trinity

The Fifth Sunday after Trinity

Augustine on Psalm XXVI

GRANT, O Lord, we beseech thee, that the course of this world may be so peaceably ordered by thy governance, that thy Church may joyfully serve thee in all godly quietness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Sacramentary of Leo and Gregory. They faced Goths, Huns and Vandals

Psalm 21, 23 | 26, 27 , 1 St. Peter iii. 8   &  St. Luke v. 1

Homily of Augustine on Psalm XXVI

Prove me, O Lord, and try me



 "Prove me, O Lord, and try me" (ver. 2). Lest, however, any of my secret sins should be hid from me, prove me, O Lord, and try me, making me known, not to Thee from whom nothing is hid, but to myself, and to men. "Burn my reins and my heart." Apply a remedial purgation, as it were fire, to my pleasures and thoughts. "For Thy mercy is before mine eyes" (ver. 3). For, that I be not consumed by that fire, not my merits, but Thy mercy, whereby Thou hast brought me on to such a life, is before my eyes. "And I have been pleasing in Thy truth." And since my own falsehood hath been displeasing to me, but Thy truth pleasing, I have myself been pleasing also with it and in it.

Again we see clearly the catholic doctrine of Paul brought forward by Augustine in showing that all are tainted by sin, and that none may depend on their works for salvation, but only upon the mercy of a loving and forgiving God.  The key to a right relationship that Augustine identifies is truth. Those who continually and completely deny God's sovereignty, his word, and create new gods that satisfy their lust, have denied the God of the New and Old Testaments; in doing so they demonstrate they have not his truth, but rather they refuse to look in the mirror and recognize their condition and need. We read in the Gospels that there is no place for such in heaven.

Let us learn from the Gospel lesson appointed this day, and the example of Peter, who said,
Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord

Read it all at the link.

Finis


--
Released by Primus Pilus
Legio Christi-Ecclesia Militans
"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another" [St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans 14:19]

* ORDO CENTURIONUM * IN HOC SIGNO VINCES * TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM

No comments: