Saint John the Evangelist’s Day.
In Domino confido
IN THE Lord put I my trust : how say ye then to my soul, that she should flee as a bird unto the hill?
2. For lo, the ungodly bend their bow, and make ready their arrows within the quiver : that they may privily shoot at them which are true of heart.
3. For the foundations will be cast down : and what have the righteous done?
4. The Lord is in his holy temple : the Lord’s seat is in heaven.
5. His eyes consider the poor : and his eye-lids try the children of men.
6. The Lord alloweth the righteous : but the ungodly, and him that delighteth in wickedness, doth his soul abhor.
7. Upon the ungodly he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, storm and tempest : this shall be their portion to drink.
8. For the righteous Lord loveth righteousness : his countenance will behold the thing that is just.
MERCIFUL Lord, we beseech thee to cast thy bright beams of light upon thy Church, that it being enlightened by the doctrine of thy blessed Apostle and Evangelist Saint John may so walk in the light of thy truth, that it may at length attain to the light of everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
[Then shall follow the Collect of the Nativity, which shall be said continually unto New-year’s Eve.]
Epistle Reading:1 John 1.1-10
Gospel Reading: St. John 21.19-25