Total Pageviews

2015/02/18

The First day of Lent, Commonly called Ash-Wednesday - 2015



The First day of Lent,
Commonly called Ash-Wednesday.
Psalm 6
Domine, ne in furore
O LORD, rebuke me not in thine indignation : neither chasten me in thy displeasure.
2. Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am weak : O Lord, heal me, for my bones are vexed.
3. My soul also is sore troubled : but, Lord, how long wilt thou punish me?
4. Turn thee, O Lord, and deliver my soul : O save me for thy mercy’s sake.
5. For in death no man remembereth thee : and who will give thee thanks in the pit?
6. I am weary of my groaning; every night wash I my bed : and water my couch with my tears.
7. My beauty is gone for very trouble : and worn away because of all mine enemies.
8. Away from me, all ye that work vanity : for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping.
9. The Lord hath heard my petition : the Lord will receive my prayer.
10. All mine enemies shall be confounded, and sore vexed : they shall be turned back, and put to shame suddenly.
The Collect.
ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who hatest nothing that thou hast made and dost forgive the sins of all them that are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins, and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of thee, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

{This Collect is to be read every day in Lent after the Collect appointed for the Day.}

Old Testament Reading: Joel 2.12-17
Psalter: Psalm 51
Gospel Reading: St. Matthew 6.16-21


Devotional Thoughts from James Kushiner, Executive Director of the Fellowship of St. James: “Into the Desert with Him” - http://www.fsj.org/new/editor/2015-02-13-into-the-desert-with-him.php

No comments: