Saint Matthias’s Day (24 February)
Eripe me, Domine
DELIVER me, O Lord, from the evil man : and preserve me from the wicked man.
2. Who imagine mischief in their hearts : and stir up strife all the day long.
3. They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent : adders’ poison is under their lips.
4. Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the ungodly : preserve me from the wicked men, who are purposed to overthrow my goings.
5. The proud have laid a snare for me, and spread a net abroad with cords : yea, and set traps in my way.
6. I said unto the Lord, Thou art my God : hear the voice of my prayers, O Lord.
7. O Lord God, thou strength of my health : thou hast covered my head in the day of the battle.
8. Let not the ungodly have his desire, O Lord : let not his mischievous imagination prosper, lest they be too proud.
9. Let the mischief of their own lips fall upon the head of them : that compass me about.
10. Let hot burning coals fall upon them : let them be cast into the fire and into the pit, that they never rise up again.
11. A man full of words shall not prosper upon the earth : evil shall hunt the wicked person to overthrow him.
12. Sure I am that the Lord will avenge the poor : and maintain the cause of the helpless.
13. The righteous also shall give thanks unto thy Name : and the just shall continue in thy sight.
Almighty God, who into the place of the traitor Judas didst choose thy faithful servant Matthias to be of the number of the twelve Apostles; Grant that thy Church, being alway preserved from false Apostles, may be ordered and guided by faithful and true pastors; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Old Testament Reading: 1 Samuel 2.27-35
Psalter: Psalm 15
Epistle Reading: Acts 1.15-26
Gospel Reading: St. Matthew 11.25-30