Total Pageviews

2016/09/16

Seventeenth Sunday after Trinity, Autumn Ember Days and St. Matthew - 2016


The Seventeenth Sunday after Trinity.
Psalm 119.129-136
Mirabilia
129. THY testimonies are wonderful : therefore doth my soul keep them.
130. When thy word goeth forth : it giveth light and understanding unto the simple.
131. I opened my mouth, and drew in my breath : for my delight was in thy commandments.
132. O look thou upon me, and be merciful unto me : as thou usest to do unto those that love thy Name.
133. Order my steps in thy word : and so shall no wickedness have dominion over me.
134. O deliver me from the wrongful dealings of men : and so shall I keep thy commandments.
135. Shew the light of thy countenance upon thy servant : and teach me thy statutes.
136. Mine eyes gush out with water : because men keep not thy law.

The Collect.
LORD, we pray thee that thy grace may always *prevent and follow us, and make us continually to be given to all good works; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

*N.B. In older use prevent meant: to act ahead of; forestall; to precede; to anticipate.


Old Testament Reading: Jeremiah 13.15-21
Psalter: Psalm 91, 92 | 105, 60
Epistle Reading: Ephesians 4.1-6
Gospel Reading: St. Luke 14.1-11


Autumn Ember Days

Saint Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist
[September 21]

O ALMIGHTY God, who by thy blessed Son didst call Matthew from the receipt of custom to be an Apostle and Evangelist; Grant us grace to forsake all covetous desires, and inordinate love of riches, and to follow the same thy Son Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, world without end. Amen.

Old Testament Reading: Proverbs 3.1-6
Psalter: Psalm 119.1-16
New Testament Reading: 2 Corinthians 4.1-6
Gospel Reading: Matthew 9.9-17


No comments: