Total Pageviews

2017/11/10

Twenty-Second Sunday after Trinity - 2017


{If our weekly prayer reminders, Psalter selection and Scripture reading have blessed you, take a look at our website: http://orderofcenturions.org/ . We are a fellowship of Christians who have been in the military, Law Enforcement, Firefighters, First Responders, etc. who our bound together around Jesus Christ the Lord. Consider joining our Order.}

The Twenty-second Sunday after Trinity.

Psalm 119.169-176
Appropinquet deprecatio
169. LET my complaint come before thee, O Lord : give me understanding, according to thy word.
170. Let my supplication come before thee : deliver me, according to thy word.
171. My lips shall speak of thy praise : when thou hast taught me thy statutes.
172. Yea, my tongue shall sing of thy word : for all thy commandments are righteous.
173. Let thine hand help me : for I have chosen thy commandments.
174. I have longed for thy saving health, O Lord : and in thy law is my delight.
175. O let my soul live, and it shall praise thee : and thy judgements shall help me.
176. I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost : O seek thy servant, for I do not forget thy commandments.

The Collect.
LORD, we beseech thee to keep thy household the Church in continual godliness; that through thy protection it may be free from all adversities, and devoutly given to serve thee in good works, to the glory of thy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Old Testament Reading: Numbers 20.14-29
Psalter: Psalm 123, 124, 125 | 136, 138
Epistle Reading: Philippians 1.3-11
Gospel Reading: St. Matthew 18.21-35


Personal: As we employ this Collect, several thoughts come to mind. First, recognize that we’re praying for the church world over; the church in hot and hostile places, as well as at home. Second, for the church in our own country with all of its internal turmoil and tensions. Third, our own denomination, however large or small. Fourth, the churches in our own community or the churches represented by those who live in our neighborhood. Lastly, your own congregation.


Then supplement the “in continual godliness,” “free from all adversities” and “to serve thee in good works” with Paul’s prayer in Philippians 1.9-11. What a prayer that will be!!!

No comments: