Total Pageviews

2020/12/05

Second Sunday in Advent - 2020/21

 

The Second Sunday in Advent.

Psalm 50. Deus deorum.

THE Lord, even the Most Mighty God, hath spoken, *and called the world, from the rising up of the sun unto the going down thereof.

2 Out of Sion hath God appeared * in perfect beauty.

3 Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence; *there shall go before him a consuming fire, and a mighty tempest shall be stirred up round about him.

4 He shall call the heaven from above, * and the earth, that he may judge his people.

5 Gather my saints together unto me; * those that have made a covenant with me with sacrifice.

6 And the heavens shall declare his righteousness; * for God is Judge himself.

7 Hear, O my people, and I will speak; * I myself will testify against thee, O Israel; for I am God, even thy God.

8 I will not reprove thee because of thy sacrifices; * as for thy burnt-offerings, they are alway before me.

9 I will take no bullock out of thine house, * nor hegoats out of thy folds.

10 For all the beasts of the forest are mine, * and so are the cattle upon a thousand hills.

11 I know all the fowls upon the mountains, * and the wild beasts of the field are in my sight.

12 If I be hungry, I will not tell thee; * for the whole world is mine, and all that is therein.

13 Thinkest thou that I will eat bulls’ flesh, * and drink the blood of goats?

14 Offer unto God thanksgiving, * and pay thy vows unto the Most Highest.

15 And call upon me in the time of trouble; * so will I hear thee, and thou shalt praise me.

16 But unto the ungodly saith God, * Why dost thou preach my laws, and takest my covenant in thy mouth;

17 Whereas thou hatest to be reformed, * and hast cast my words behind thee?

18 When thou sawest a thief, thou consentedst unto him; * and hast been partaker with the adulterers.

19 Thou hast let thy mouth speak wickedness, * and with thy tongue thou hast set forth deceit.

20 Thou sattest and spakest against thy brother; * yea, and hast slandered thine own mother’s son.

21 These things hast thou done, and I held my tongue, and thou thoughtest wickedly, that I am even such a one as thyself; * but I will reprove thee, and set before thee the things that thou hast done.

22 O consider this, ye that forget God, * lest I pluck you away, and there be none to deliver you.

23 Whoso offereth me thanks and praise, he honoureth me; * and to him that ordereth his way aright, will I show the salvation of God.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son : and to the Holy Ghost; As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be : world without end. Amen.

 

The Collect.

[The Collect from the First Sunday in Advent is to be repeated every day, with the other Collects in Advent, until Christmas-Eve:] 

ALMIGHTY God, give us grace that we may cast away the works of darkness, and put upon us the armour of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which thy Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the quick and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, now and for ever. Amen. 

BLESSED Lord, who hast caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning; Grant that we may in such wise hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that by patience and comfort of thy holy Word, we may embrace, and ever hold fast, the blessed hope of everlasting life, which thou hast given us in our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen. 

Old Testament Reading: Isaiah 55.1-13

Psalter: Morning-80, 82; Evening-25, 26

Epistle Reading: Romans 15.4-13

Gospel Reading: Luke 21.25-33 

Homily

 

This is from my most recent letter to my congregation, finishing our reflection on Isaiah 33:5-6.

We’ve been exploring Isaiah 33:5-6 these past few weeks, and what is vastly valuable and truly treasurable. We move, now, to the middle statement, and dwell on the stability of God.

The LORD is exalted, for he dwells on high;

he will fill Zion with justice and righteousness,

and he will be the stability of your times,

abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge;

the fear of the LORD is Zion’s treasure.”

 

I have already unpacked this statement in some detail in our congregational letter on 17 September, and all that I said then is still true and right today. Nevertheless, this point is nearly inexhaustible: “And he will be the stability of your times.” What is it that makes you feel like you’re spinning with emotional or spiritual vertigo? Where are you experiencing the unsettling of the ground underneath you? When are you most tremulous with anxiety or fear? “And he will be the stability of your times.” 

The LORD exalted and dwelling on high, who is our abundant salvation, wisdom, and knowledge, is the stability of our times. Even times when our adult children make disconcerting life decisions, when the doctor’s report comes back like a sledgehammer, when there’s been trouble in that pregnancy, when you can’t see beyond the bleakness surrounding you in the pain or penury. “He will be the stability of your times.” 

And it’s this realization of our God’s trustworthiness that brothers and sisters wrote hymns about and sang, even when they went through the most turbulent times of war, famine, death, and plagues. Such as Martin Luther, “A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing; our helper he, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing.” Or Martin Rinkart, “Now thank we all our God with heart and hands and voices, who wondrous things has done, in whom his world rejoices; who from our mothers' arms has blessed us on our way with countless gifts of love, and still is ours today.” 

The LORD is the stability of our times. Even in the darkest and most dreadful of seasons and times of life, he is the stability of our times. And with that we can live, really live. 

Brothers and sisters our LORD who is high and exalted, abundant in salvation, wisdom and knowledge, is the stability of our times. Lift up your hearts, lift them up to the Lord!


No comments: