Total Pageviews

2023/08/04

The Transfiguration (6 August) and the Ninth Sunday after Trinity - 2023

 


(The picture is by Lewis Bowman)

The Transfiguration of Christ 
August 6

The Collect

O GOD, who on the mount didst reveal to chosen witnesses thine only-begotten Son wonderfully transfigured, in raiment white and glistering; Mercifully grant that we, being delivered from the disquietude of this world, may be permitted to behold the King in his beauty, who with thee, O Father, and thee, O Holy Ghost, liveth and reigneth, one God, world without end. Amen. 

Epistle Reading: 2 Peter 1.13-18

Gospel Reading: St. Luke 9.28-36 

Philippians 3.20-21: “For our conversation (Greek: Citizenship) is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.” 

Homily

 

The Ninth Sunday after Trinity.

Psalm 119.129-144

xvii. Mirabilia.

THY testimonies are wonderful; * therefore doth my soul keep them.

130 When thy word goeth forth, * it giveth light and understanding unto the simple.

131 I opened my mouth, and drew in my breath; * for my delight was in thy commandments.

132 O look thou upon me, and be merciful unto me, * as thou usest to do unto those that love thy Name.

133 Order my steps in thy word; * and so shall no wickedness have dominion over me.

134 O deliver me from the wrongful dealings of men; * and so shall I keep thy commandments.

135 Show the light of thy countenance upon thy servant, * and teach me thy statutes.

136 Mine eyes gush out with water, * because men keep not thy law.

xviii. Justus es, Domine.

RIGHTEOUS art thou, O Lord; * and true are thy judgments.

138 The testimonies that thou hast commanded * are exceeding righteous and true.

139 My zeal hath even consumed me; * because mine enemies have forgotten thy words.

140 Thy word is tried to the uttermost, * and thy servant loveth it.

141 I am small and of no reputation; * yet do I not forget thy commandments.

142 Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, * and thy law is the truth.

143 Trouble and heaviness have taken hold upon me; * yet is my delight in thy commandments.

144 The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: * O grant me understanding, and I shall live.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son * and to the Holy Ghost;

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be * world without end. Amen. 

The Collect.

GRANT to us, Lord, we beseech thee, the spirit to think and do always such things as be rightful; that we, who cannot do any thing that is good without thee, may by thee be enabled to live according to thy will; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 

Old Testament Reading: 1 Kings 10.1-25

Psalter: Psalm 46, 47 | 44, 45

Epistle Reading: 1 Corinthians 10.1-13

Gospel Reading: St. Luke 16.1-9 

Homily

No comments: