Saint Barnabas the Apostle
Beatus vir, qui non abiit, &c.
1. BLESSED is the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stood in the way of sinners : and hath not sat in the seat of the scornful.
2. But his delight is in the law of the Lord : and in his law will he exercise himself day and night.
3. And he shall be like a tree planted by the water-side : that will bring forth his fruit in due season.
4. His leaf also shall not wither : and look, whatsoever he doeth, it shall prosper.
5. As for the ungodly, it is not so with them : but they are like the chaff, which the wind scattereth away from the face of the earth.
6. Therefore the ungodly shall not be able to stand in the judgement : neither the sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
7. But the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous : and the way of the ungodly shall perish.
O Lord God Almighty, who didst endue thy holy Apostle Barnabas with singular gifts of the Holy Ghost; Leave us not, we beseech thee, destitute of thy manifold gifts, nor yet of grace to use them alway to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Epistle Reading: Acts 11.22-30
Gospel Reading: John 15.12-16
The Third Sunday after Trinity.
Retribue servo tuo
O DO well unto thy servant : that I may live, and keep thy word.
18. Open thou mine eyes : that I may see the wondrous things of thy law.
19. I am a stranger upon earth : O hide not thy commandments from me.
20. My soul breaketh out for the very fervent desire : that it hath alway unto thy judgements.
21. Thou hast rebuked the proud : and cursed are they that do err from thy commandments.
22. O turn from me shame and rebuke : for I have kept thy testimonies.
23. Princes also did sit and speak against me : but thy servant is occupied in thy statutes.
24. For thy testimonies are my delight : and my counsellors.
O LORD, we beseech thee mercifully to hear us; and grant that we, to whom though hast given an hearty desire to pray, may be comforted in all dangers and adversities; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Old Testament Reading: Jeremiah 31.1-14
Psalter: Psalm 16, 17 | 18
Epistle Reading: 1 Peter 5.5-11
Gospel Reading: St. Luke 15.1-10