Total Pageviews

2016/06/24

The Fifth Sunday after Trinity and Saint Peter the Apostle - 2016


The Fifth Sunday after Trinity.
Psalm 119.33-40
Legem pone
TEACH me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes : and I shall keep it unto the end.
34. Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law : yea, I shall keep it with my whole heart.
35. Make me to go in the path of thy commandments : for therein is my desire.
36. Incline my heart unto thy testimonies : and not to covetousness.
37. O turn away mine eyes, lest they behold vanity : and quicken thou me in thy way.
38. O stablish thy word in thy servant : that I may fear thee.
39. Take away the rebuke that I am afraid of : for thy judgements are good.
40. Behold, my delight is in thy commandments : O quicken me in thy righteousness.

The Collect.
GRANT, O Lord, we beseech thee, that the course of this world may be so peaceably ordered by thy governance, that thy Church may joyfully serve thee in all godly quietness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Old Testament Reading: Ecclesiastes 2.1-23
Psalter: Psalm 21, 23 | 26, 27
Epistle Reading: 1 Peter 3.8-15a (15b-17)
Gospel Reading: St. Luke 5.1-11


Personal Reflection: This past week I spoke to a Bible study group that has been meeting at our State Capitol for over 30 years. The passage I spoke on was Luke 8.26-39, and I titled the talk, “Demon Piety.” It went in a direction that wasn’t anticipated, but was well received. Though it may not be connected to this Fifth Sunday after Trinity, the readings or the Collect, nevertheless, I think it is beneficial. Here is the link to the notes: http://mphilliber.blogspot.com/2016/06/demon-piety-luke-826-39.html


Saint Peter the Apostle (29 June)
Psalm 144
Benedictus Dominus
BLESSED be the Lord my strength : who teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
2. My hope and my fortress, my castle and deliverer, my defender in whom I trust : who subdueth my people that is under me.
3. Lord, what is man, that thou hast such respect unto him : or the son of man, that thou so regardest him?
4. Man is like a thing of nought : his time passeth away like a shadow.
5. Bow thy heavens, O Lord, and come down : touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.
6. Cast forth thy lightning, and tear them : shoot out thine arrows, and consume them.
7. Send down thine hand from above : deliver me, and take me out of the great waters, from the hand of strange children.
8. Whose mouth talketh of vanity : and their right hand is a right hand of wickedness.
9. I will sing a new song unto thee, O God : and sing praises unto thee upon a ten-stringed lute.
10. Thou hast given victory unto kings : and hast delivered David thy servant from the peril of the sword.
11. Save me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children : whose mouth talketh of vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of iniquity.
12. That our sons may grow up as the young plants : and that our daughters may be as the polished corners of the temple.
13. That our garners may be full and plenteous with all manner of store : that our sheep may bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our streets.
14. That our oxen may be strong to labour, that there be no decay : no leading into captivity, and no complaining in our streets.
15. Happy are the people that are in such a case : yea, blessed are the people who have the Lord for their God.

The Collect
O almighty God, who by thy Son Jesus Christ didst give to thy Apostle Saint Peter many excellent gifts, and commandedst him earnestly to feed thy flock: Make, we beseech thee, all Bishops and Pastors diligently to preach thy holy Word, and the people obediently to follow the same, that they may receive the crown of everlasting glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Epistle Reading: Acts 12.1-11
Gospel Reading: Matthew 16.13-19


No comments: