Saint Bartholomew the Apostle
Non nobis, Domine
1. NOT unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto thy Name give the praise : for thy loving mercy and for thy truth’s sake.
2. Wherefore shall the heathen say : Where is now their God?
3. As for our God, he is in heaven : he hath done whatsoever pleased him.
4. Their idols are silver and gold : even the work of men’s hands.
5. They have mouths, and speak not : eyes have they, and see not.
6. They have ears, and hear not : noses have they and smell not.
7. They have hands, and handle not; feet have they, and walk not : neither speak they through their throat.
8. They that make them are like unto them ; and so are all such as put their trust in them.
9. But thou, house of Israel, trust thou in the Lord : he is their succour and defence.
10. Ye house of Aaron, put your trust in the Lord : he is their helper and defender.
11. Ye that fear the Lord, put your trust in the Lord : he is their helper and defender.
12. The Lord hath been mindful of us, and he shall bless us : even he shall bless the house of Israel, he shall bless the house of Aaron.
13. He shall bless them that fear the Lord : both small and great.
14. The Lord shall increase you more and more : you and your children.
15. Ye are the blessed of the Lord : who made heaven and earth.
16. All the whole heavens are the Lord’s : the earth hath he given to the children of men.
17. The dead praise not thee, O Lord : neither all they that go down into silence.
18. But we will praise the Lord : from this time forth for evermore. Praise the Lord.
O almighty and everlasting God, who didst give to thine Apostle Bartholomew grace truly to believe and to preach thy Word; Grant, we beseech thee, unto thy Church, to love that Word which he believed, and both to preach and receive the same; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Old Testament Reading: Deuteronomy 18.15-18
Psalter: Psalm 91
Epistle Reading: 1 Corinthians 4.9-15
Gospel Reading: St. Luke 22.24-30
For a short historical piece regarding an event that happened on this day see my blog post: