Total Pageviews

2006/06/05

Whit-Monday 1865 Onward Christian Soldiers


One to sing this day! Composed for Children for their Whit-Monday Walk. 
 
 Onward Christian Soldiers... from Cyberhymnal.org  by Sabine Baring-Gould
 
Quote:
Baring-Gould wrote about this hymn:

Whit-Mon­day is a great day for school fes­tiv­als in York­shire. One Whit-Mon­day, thir­ty years ago, it was ar­ranged that our school should join forc­es with that of a neigh­bor­ing vil­lage. I want­ed the child­ren to sing when march­ing from one vil­lage to another, but couldn't think of any­thing quite suit­a­ble; so I sat up at night, re­solved that I would write some­thing myself. "Onward, Christ­ian Sol­diers" was the re­sult. It was writ­ten in great haste, and I am afraid some of the rhymes are faulty. Cer­tain­ly no­thing has sur­prised me more than its pop­u­lar­i­ty. I don't re­mem­ber how it got print­ed first, but I know that very soon it found its way into sev­er­al col­lect­ions. I have writ­ten a few other hymns since then, but only two or three have be­come at all well-known.

This hymn was sung at the fun­er­al of Amer­i­can pre­si­dent Dwight Ei­sen­how­er at the Na­tion­al Ca­thed­ral, Wash­ing­ton, DC, March 1969 [in an Anglican service]

End Quote
Sabine Baring-Gould

No comments: